Mary Agnes Carey
KFF Well being Information
Partnerships Editor and Senior Correspondent, oversees placement of KFF Well being Information content material in publications nationwide and covers well being reform and federal well being coverage. Earlier than becoming a member of KFF Well being Information, Mary Agnes was affiliate editor of CQ HealthBeat, Capitol Hill Bureau Chief for Congressional Quarterly, and a reporter with Dow Jones Newswires. A frequent radio and tv commentator, she has appeared on CNN, C-SPAN, the PBS NewsHour, and on NPR associates nationwide. Her tales have appeared in The Washington Publish, USA At present, TheAtlantic.com, Time.com, Cash.com, and The Every day Beast, amongst different publications. She labored for newspapers in Connecticut and Pennsylvania, and has a grasp’s diploma in journalism from Columbia College.
In most states, open enrollment for plans on the Inexpensive Care Act trade — also referred to as Obamacare — started Nov. 1 and lasts till Dec. 15, although some states go longer. With premiums anticipated to extend by a median of 6%, shoppers who get their well being protection by the federal or state ACA marketplaces are inspired to buy round. Due to enhanced subsidies and cost-sharing help, they could lower your expenses by switching plans.
In the meantime, Ohio is but once more an election-year battleground state. A poll challenge that would supply constitutional safety to reproductive well being choices has turn out to be a flashpoint for misinformation and message testing.
This week’s panelists are Mary Agnes Carey of KFF Well being Information, Jessie Hellmann of CQ Roll Name, Joanne Kenen of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg College of Public Well being and Politico, and Rachana Pradhan of KFF Well being Information.
CQ Roll Name
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg College of Public Well being and Politico
KFF Well being Information
Among the many takeaways from this week’s episode:
- Open enrollment for many plans on the Inexpensive Care Act trade — also referred to as Obamacare — started Nov. 1 and lasts till Dec. 15, although enrollment lasts longer in some states. With premiums anticipated to extend by a median of 6%, shoppers are suggested to buy round. Enhanced subsidies are nonetheless in place post-pandemic, and enhanced cost-sharing help is offered to those that qualify. Many individuals who’ve misplaced well being protection could also be eligible for subsidies.
- In Ohio, voters will think about a poll challenge that may defend abortion rights underneath the state structure. This carefully watched contest is considered by anti-abortion advocates as a testing floor for messaging on the difficulty. Abortion can be key in different races, reminiscent of for Pennsylvania’s Supreme Court docket and Virginia’s state meeting, the place all the legislature is up for election.
- Earlier this week, President Joe Biden issued an government order that calls on federal companies, together with the Division of Well being and Human Companies, to step into the substitute intelligence enviornment. AI is a buzzword at each well being care convention or panel nowadays, and the applied sciences are already in use in well being care, with insurers utilizing AI to assist make protection choices. There’s additionally the recurring query, after many hearings and far dialogue: Why hasn’t Congress acted to control AI but?
- Our well being care system — particularly the docs, nurses, and different medical personnel — hasn’t recovered from the pandemic. Employees are nonetheless burned out, and a few have participated in work stoppages to make the purpose that they will’t take far more. Will this be the following space for organized labor, contemporary from profitable strikes in opposition to automakers, to develop union membership? Take pharmacy staff, as an illustration, who’re starting to stage walkouts to push for enhancements.
- And, in fact, for the following installment of the brand new podcast characteristic, “This Week in Medical Misinformation:” The official authorities web site of the Republican-controlled Ohio Senate is attacking the proposed abortion modification in what some consultants have stated is a extremely uncommon and deceptive method. Headlines on its “On The Report” weblog embody “Abortion Is Killing the Black Neighborhood” and say the poll measure would trigger “unimaginable atrocities.” The Related Press termed the weblog’s language “inflammatory.”
Plus, for “additional credit score,” the panelists counsel well being coverage tales they learn this week they suppose you need to learn, too:
Mary Agnes Carey: Stat Information’ “The Well being Care Concern Democrats Can’t Remedy: Hospital Reform,” by Rachel Cohrs.
Jessie Hellmann: The Washington Publish’s “Drugstore Closures Are Leaving Thousands and thousands With out Simple Entry to a Pharmacy,” by Aaron Gregg and Jaclyn Peiser.
Joanne Kenen: The Washington Publish’s “Older Individuals Are Dominating Like By no means Earlier than, however What Comes Subsequent?” by Marc Fisher.
Rachana Pradhan: The New York Occasions’ “How a Profitable Surgical procedure Took Off On-line and Disfigured Sufferers,” by Sarah Kliff and Katie Thomas.
To listen to all our podcasts, click on right here.
KFF Well being Information is a nationwide newsroom that produces in-depth journalism about well being points and is without doubt one of the core working packages at KFF—an impartial supply of well being coverage analysis, polling, and journalism. Be taught extra about KFF.
USE OUR CONTENT
This story could be republished totally free (particulars).
We encourage organizations to republish our content material, freed from cost. Right here’s what we ask:
You have to credit score us as the unique writer, with a hyperlink to our kffhealthnews.org website. If doable, please embody the unique creator(s) and KFF Well being Information” within the byline. Please protect the hyperlinks within the story.
It’s necessary to notice, not every thing on kffhealthnews.org is offered for republishing. If a narrative is labeled “All Rights Reserved,” we can’t grant permission to republish that merchandise.
Have questions? Tell us at KHNHelp@kff.org