HealthSherpa strongly believes in creating inclusive, equitable areas, which construct belief, respect and a way of belonging which are important to our tradition and work. We’re excited to characteristic our colleagues and listen to extra about their experiences at HealthSherpa, from their first touchpoints all the best way as much as their tenure and progress. On this publish, hear from Vice President of Product Administration Patricia Pichardo, who opens up about why she mentioned sure to HealthSherpa, her private journey to mission-driven work, and what her day-to-day seems like.
I’ve been at HealthSherpa for nearly 2 months now. There was an acquisition at my final firm, and it led to a number of change; it opened my eyes to exterior alternatives. I began getting pinged so much by recruiters and there have been attention-grabbing jobs opening up. I’d labored in liquor immediately earlier than HealthSherpa; however earlier than that, I’d labored in a mission-driven atmosphere, and I actually missed that mission connectivity.
So once I began exploring new alternatives, what actually made HealthSherpa stand out was the mission, and the chance to do what I do professionally to usher some good into the world.
Personally, when Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico in 2017, I discovered myself advocating for Puerto Ricans within the diaspora – it actually awoke one thing within me. With associates and different volunteers, we had been in a position to take action a lot – we helped individuals get out of the Island, helped feed kids who had been going with out meals, helped individuals get entry to primary wants.
After this expertise, I began desirous about different points that weren’t essentially immediately impacting one thing that I used to be near. So when Sarah (Ahn, Senior Recruiter) reached out to me about this position at HealthSherpa, it felt like a complete match for me. How would I get higher if I acquired sick, and I didn’t have ample insurance coverage? That could be a actual concern, an actual drawback. And HealthSherpa is fixing it – and it’s a worthwhile firm, with a dedication to variety, fairness and inclusion. It was a complete no-brainer to say sure to speak about this position.
There have been just a few issues that stood out to me:
- The human contact. I’d labored with good recruiters earlier than, however at HealthSherpa, it wasn’t simply the recruiter. Sarah launched me to the subsequent individual, who introduced the identical nice contact and humanity to the method. It was clear that the recruiter and the hiring supervisor shared the identical values, and that there was clear intention informing the method.
- The candor. Sarah and the entire individuals on the interview crew had been very candid with me about what the true issues had been, the true wants had been, and what the precise actuality at HealthSherpa seemed like.
- The belief. The crew trusted one another in a really implicit means. Later within the course of, I acquired to fulfill a few of my teammates, friends and direct stories. The conversations felt natural and real with the crew as nicely. It didn’t really feel just like the crew was being refrained from the method; they requested questions (and vice versa), and it confirmed me that the recruiter and hiring supervisor positioned a number of belief within the crew, too – and from the conversations, it felt clear that the belief existed in each instructions.
So, not solely are they human, and candid, however they belief one another. They really feel actually comfy about one another’s positions. Once I spoke to George (Chief Govt Officer), he mentioned that he didn’t must assess whether or not I’d be product chief – that was Cat’s (Chief Product Officer) job. He simply wished to determine whether or not I’d be match for the corporate on the whole, and to supply the chance to ask questions of one other co-founder who wasn’t managing this position.
I get up within the morning and work out at the least 3x/week earlier than beginning the day. After this, I sit down and have some quiet time. I spend time planning my day, establishing my conferences, and making certain that I’m arrange for achievement for the remainder of the day. I normally have conferences after that – roughly 2-4hrs of conferences per day, and 2-4 hrs of quiet time, whether or not pre-planned or ad-hoc.
It’s an important combination of collaboration, listening in, and asking the fitting questions and ensuring that we’re ready to make the fitting selections. Normally my day ends with a gathering – a 1:1 with my supervisor or a direct report, or a company-wide assembly. I’d thought that this might really feel odd as a result of I used to spend time on the finish of the day alone, however I’ve discovered this actually energizing. There’s additionally a lot to be taught – I go away the day nearly daily feeling energized and like I’m studying. I go away the times very glad.
I’ve realized that there are issues that we take with no consideration, that aren’t as easy as they appear. Everybody is aware of about healthcare; no person goes by life with no need it, with out collaborating on this system indirectly. There may be a lot to be taught as a shopper – and it’s unusual to consider this, as a result of it’s one thing primary, regular, wanted, and important. You will get sick in some unspecified time in the future, and also you will inevitably want healthcare.
So, studying the complexities of the house is basically essential. There are issues that you just would possibly suppose are easy and you discover out that they’re truly very sophisticated. I’ve been approaching a number of this with humility, and counting on the people who I’ve been working with to assist me get on board. I 100% must depend on my teammates to arrange me and maintain me up once I make errors.
I might say two issues:
- In case you’re desirous about working right here, don’t suppose twice. It is best to undoubtedly discover alternatives with us, and apply whenever you see one thing that might be match for you.
- For somebody who isn’t so certain about HealthSherpa, for no matter motive – contemplate the place you might be and the influence you’re making the place you might be, after which contemplate the potential influence you can make engaged on one thing that may assist remedy such an enormous drawback. There’s nothing that feels higher than doing a job you get pleasure from, and understanding the way it will profit individuals in an enormous means.
Need to work with Patricia and the remainder of our phenomenal crew? Click on right here to discover present openings and listen to from extra teammates at HealthSherpa!